This summer I was really into zucchini, and I tried out several different vegan zucchini bread recipes. After a few disasters, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com for Kingman’s Vegan Zucchini Bread and it is a winner. I only make a few modifications, and my friends and I really love it. My friend Samantha loved it so much she asked me to make it for her St. Patrick’s Day party. My favorite thing about this recipe is that people are SHOCKED that it’s vegan. Even the biggest skeptics will love this bread!
Kingman’s Vegan Zucchini Bread
Slight modifications from the original recipe include swapping in one cup whole wheat flour, subbing for cornstarch, swapping in one teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and adding in a mashed banana.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 mashed, ripe banana
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Grease and flour two 9×5 inch loaf pans or 5 mini loaf pans.
- Whisk together the flours, flax seeds, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and arrowroot / cornstarch in a bowl until evenly blended; set aside.
- Mash the banana and whisk together with the applesauce, white sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and flour mixture until moistened.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 70 minutes for large loaf pans or 50 minutes for mini loaf pans.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
If you use the mini loaf pans, the small loaves make great gifts for your friends!