Kimberly Snyder is a nutritionist and beauty expert who is beloved by a host of celebrities, including Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon. When I was first researching beauty diets, her name and books kept coming up so I bought her book: The Beauty Detox Solution: Eat Your Way to Radiant Skin, Renewed Energy and the Body You’ve Always Wanted.
One of the foundations of her book is that you drink her Glowing Green Smoothie in the morning. The smoothie is a fiber-filled drink made up of greens and fruit which allows you to get in many servings of greens to start your day right. If you’re new to green smoothies, I suggest starting small with a basic green smoothie and working your way to this one. While I find it to be delicious, you might not if you haven’t tried other similar drinks.
Glowing Green Smoothie
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 to 4 stalks organic celery
- 1/2 head of a large bunch or 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
- 1 organic banana
- Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon
- Optional: 1/3 bunch organic cilantro and / or 1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems OK) (these help chelate heavy metals from your body but they have a powerful taste)
- Add water, chopped head of romaine and spinach to blender. Blend at a low speed until smooth.
- Add celery, apple and pear. Blend at high speed.
- If using, add cilantro and parsley.
- Finish with banana and lemon.
This is a big batch with 2-3 servings depending on how much smoothie you drink. Here are two options for storing leftovers:
- Store in your refrigerator, covered, for about two and a half days.
- Freeze portion sizes of it in glass containers and thaw out the night before.
Other Helpful Instructions
If you’re a visual person like me, here is the YouTube video of Kimberly Snyder making the smoothie:
Kimberly also has this handy visual guide.